Commercial University Limited is a Private University founded by The All India Commercial Association in 1940 at Lahore and is a university incorporated under a central act being central act I of 1956. It is not recognised by the U. G. C.. Its Certificates, Diploma and Degrees are not specifically recognised by the Central or any State Government. Recognition thereof is discretionary on the part of the persons concerned.
The CUL establishes and maintains high standards of education, training and examinations at all levels. This fact has earned for it a high reputation and public acceptability of its course, examinations and awards. Many employer concerns, including private companies and MNCs accept its awards for staff placements in their concerns. However, recognition thereof is entirely discretionary
INTRODUCTION AND CONSTITUTUION, INCORPORATION
Whereas an Association originally styled as The All India Commercial Association was established in Lahore in the year 1934, under the Chancellorship of the late Dewan Bahadur Raja Narendra Nath, with the following objects.
- to promote Commercial Education in the Country and to afford all facilities and encouragement for the purpose
- to encourage enlightened, systematic and scientific study of Commerce, its literature as also the latest developments and methods adopted or introduced in the various branches of Commerce in any part of the world;
- to associate the educationists, businessmen, industrialists, learned and influential men of every province and state in India as also the various Governments and their Officers;
- to assist any Body Corporate or otherwise any educational Body imparting Education
- to assist and / or promote other bodies for the advancement and regulation of Commercial education
It was also decided that English being the international language of modern Commerce, should be the medium of instructions and examinations.
The A I. C. A. was Registered under the Act XXI of 1860. Commercial University was founded by The A I. C. A., and is centrally controlled and Regulated by
The A I. C. A.
With the aforesaid objects The All India Commercial Association with the co-operation and on the request of the proprietors and Principals of the existing Commercial Institutions and Colleges, founded Commercial University early in 1940 under the Chancellorship of the late Raja Narendra Nath and shifted to Delhi after the partition of the Country in 1947 and incorporated in 1949 at Delhi under Act VII of 1913.
The Commercial University Ltd. Was founded by the All India Commercial Association at Lahore in 1940 as a University to prescribe Systems and Methods, set standards of Education, Regulate the Studies of Commerce and to conduct Courses and Education in Commerce for the Students and to direct the young energies of the Nation towards productive and constructive work. These Education Stalwarts foresaw the future progress of commerce and founded the University to meet the Educational necessities of the future progressive economies of the world by preparing properly educated commerce oriented youth to face the challenge posed by increasing industralisation all over the world. Equipping the future economy of Free-India with duly educated and trained men of Commerce to independently handle the intricacies of the economic problems was the immediate objective which was later extended to other countries and other free Nations of the world by way of extension of activities of the University in various other countries viz. The U. K. , U.S.A., Canada., Arab and Gulf countries, the African Countries, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lank and such other neighbouring countries as well. The University presently has its Registered Branch Offices in the U. K. and in Kenya and Representatives in all other countries named hereabove.
Founded in 1940 at Lahore with the above objects the University was shifted to New Delhi in the wake of partition between Indian and Pakistan in 1947. The University was duly incorporated in 1949 under Central Act VII of 1913 with the above objects besides others.
Eversince 1949 the University has been spreading the education of Commerce within India and aborad. The University was duly Registered in the U. K. in 1978 as also in Kenya in 197.
The University has over 10 Colleges conducting various Technical and Vocational Trade Certificate Courses as also Academic Courses as per the Scheme, Methods and Systems of Education prescribed by the University within India and has duly constituted Honorary Authorised Official Representatives in various countries viz. U. K., U. S. A, Canada, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Eden, Kuwait, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia Sri Lanka, Nepal, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, etc.
Establishment of Commercial University Ltd.
This University met with the great success and welcome from all concerned and to fulfil the requirements of all the classes and others who count in Commercial Education, the aforesaid Commercial University was constituted into Commercial University Ltd. With the following, among others, as its objects.
- To train and equip the youth of the Country to play their legitimate part in modern trade, Commerce and industry, which affords an unlimited field for remunerative employment and also an unlimited scope for realisations of ambition;
- To lay down curriculum of studies for young persons intending to adopt Commerce as a career.
- To encourage and impart higher and advanced Commercial Education
- To prescribed and maintain uniform standards for its examinations
- To ascertain by means of examinations, or otherwise, the persons who have acquired the prescribed standard of knowledge in theory and efficiency in practice in different branches of Commerce.
- To confer on those who pass the prescribed tests and examinations academic diplomas, certificates, licences, degrees, title and marks of honour, and also to confer any of these honoris causa on persons being life Fellows / Member of The A – I. C. A. who may be though fit for the distinctions by reasons of their learning, services eminent position or otherwise.
- To appoint or recommend where necessary a common representative of Commercial Education on behalf of The A – I. C. A. and Commercial University Ltd. On All-India basis at an international Commercial conference on higher Education.
- To found, establish, recognise or affiliate Commerce Coaching & Training Colleges and Institutions, to ensure the availability of proper systems and Methods of Teaching and coaching facilities for students of Commerce in accordance with the prescribed standard of studies and education, to regulate and control their functions and to ensure proper adherence to the University’s directives, Rules & regulations by these colleges and Institutions.
- To assist Commercial Colleges recognised by the University to get proper Grants in-aid from the Government or any other body.
- To supply Government of India, state Government and business house with annual or other lists of its graduates with a view to assisting them in their employment and selection of higher grade posts.
- To organise the protection of the professional prestige and interests of teachers of Commercial subjects.
- To associate, assist and or co-operate with other educational and professional bodies in all matters of common interests
- To encourage educational research generally and in particular with regard to commercial subjects
- To serve as a clearing house of expression for teachers and others interested in commercial education.
- To raise the qualifications and the remunerations of commercial –men.
- To encourage discussion of all questions connected with and the diffusion of information and the history and literature of commerce.
- To provide affiliation or federation with other societies and for the doing of all lawful things conducive to the attainment of the foregoing objects;
- To promote unity and harmonious relations amongst the commercial men in India by arranging meetings and conferences for the advancement of commercial education.
- To establish contact with commercial institutions and to encourage and foster friendly relations between such institutions for promoting the cause of commercial education.
- To enter into arrangement with the Government or municipal or local authorities that may seem conducive to the objects of the University or any such Government or Municipal of local authority and obtain recognition rights privileges and concessions which the University may think it desirable to obtain and to carry out, exercise and comply with any such arrangements rights privileges and concessions.
- To secure and render expert advice and service in such matters of commerce education ,curriculla of studies syllabus of course and examination and such other academic matters as also in office reorganisation , promotion of companies, taxation work preparation and audit of accounts, designing books of accounts, administrations of estates etc.,
- Generally to do all such things as may appear to be incidential or conducive to the attainment of its object;
- To fulfil such other duties as may be assigned to it from time to time by the commercial colleges or the members of it senate/Board.
- To follow and carry out the directive, orders, instructions, etc, as may be issued from time to time by The A-I.C.A. in the fulfilment of the foregoing object
Commercial University Ltd., is the coordinating body of all commercial men educationists, and heads of department and commercial colleges of India managed individually or in partnership or under trust or public or Government. At present the University is constituted of 150 leading commercial colleges. These colleges are represented on the board of the senate of the University by their principals or managers or professors etc.,
Each member of the senate is nominated by the working syndicate of The A-I.C.A. and Commercial University Ltd. For a period of 2 years and is eligible for re-election.
The A-I.C.A. is the founder and Central Controlling Board of the University having the general powers of issuing orders, directives instructions to the University in the conduct of the affairs of the University.
The University is intended to be an internationalistic, independent and non sectarian organisation incorporated in India unaffected by racial, nationalistic political or social concept . It has its own educational ideals which it hopes to carry out honourably and unsullied for the public good. It has been organised and is a fledged University with a view to encouraging and standardising higher and advanced commercial education. It is undoubtely the only institute of its kind in India affiliating over 150 colleges as its official training and examination centres.
After the partition of the country into India and Pakistan this University shifted its Headquarters from Lahore to Delhi vide its extraordinary Gazette issued on the 10th of October, 1947.
CONSTITUTION AND MANAGEMENT
- The control of the Commercial University Ltd. Vests with the General Body of the contributory members of the University who elect the Board of Governors and with the syndicate of The A-I.C.A which is also the syndicate of this University. The board of Governors and the syndicate elect appoint, nominate or constitute the authorities officers, Committees, boards council of the University to carry on, conduct and supervise its work, activities and function.
- The Board of Governors or the syndicate of the University elect and appoint the General secretary who is the chief directional and controlling officer of the University the Registrar , who is the General administrator of the University the wkg. Syndicate or the executive council and the finance committee with such powers rights and duties to appoint nominate, constitute or elect various committees, sub-committees, bodies, councils or officers of the University with such powers, rights and duties as they may feel fit to grant or delegate or sub delegate with a view to proper function and carry out of the objects of the University. The constitution of the committees or sub-committees or boards or officers so constituted or appointed or nominated or elected is defined in their respective constitution and memorandum of appointment by the appointing authority. A list of authorities in order of their respective position in seniority and hierarchy, list of officers and their conditions of appointment are mentioned in foregoing clauses.
- In general, the Officers of the University and its Authorities hold their respective offices in Honorary capacity, unless otherwise expressly determined in their Memo of Appointment.
- The Registrar shall also act as Examination Secretary and is responsible to appoint examiners, in consultation with Academic Council or Deans of the Faculties, arrange examination centres etc.:
- 1) Ex-Officio Members : The Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Registrar and such other officers as the Wkg. Syndicate may, from time to time appoint or elect, professors and lecturers of the University, shall each be an ex-officio member of the Senate.
- 2) Representative of such public bodies, Chambers of Commerce, and associations to which the Syndicate may, by its resolution allow the right to elect or nominate members.
- The Syndicate of Commercial University Ltd. Has established Senate and also Boards in every Region. These Boards are responsible for organising Regional Committees to have proper control and to conduct and supervise its examinations within their respective Region.
- Commercial University Ltd., has its official training and recognised Colleges as Examination Centres in all States of India under the supervision of the Regional Boards and members of the Sentate.
- In instructions, training and also in conducting its examinations, the Commercial University, Ltd. Aims throughout at a uniformly high standard of knowledge and proficiency. Emphasis is laid on checking the practical working knowledge of the student and papers are so designed as to give the Examiner an idea of the students proficiency in Practical work.
- The Examinations of this University are conducted on lines similar to those of various foreign University and Institutions such as the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Royal Society of Arts, London Chambers of Commerce, East Midland Educational Union.
The Examinations of this University are at present divided into three classes : namely, Certificate, Diploma and Degree examinations.
The scheme and syllabus of the examinations is such, as to meet the most exacting requirements of modern trade, commerce and industry. That this aim has been achieved is shown by the following facts
- that though not formally recognised, most of our Certificate or Diploma holders and graduates have secured well paid posts in Banks, Insurance, Government Offices, Public and Private Sector Undertakings Commercial Offices, and the leading industrial establishments
- an increasing number of commercial men are joining from every part of the world as Members and Fellows of The A I. C. A. and Commercial University Ltd.
AIMS & OBJECTS
The objects for which the University is established are
- To promote Commercial Education in all Standards and branches in the country and abroad and to lay down Curriculla of Studies and train and educate students in Commerce, Arts and Science and afford all sorts of facilities for the same.
- To impart Commercial Education and open Institutes, Colleges and Schools, Libraries, Clubs, Debating & Research Centres for systematic and scientific Studies and Research in Commerce. Commercial Science and Subjects
..and to establish and maintain Branches and Agencies, Executive and other Bodies and Senate and Board etc. for the same.
- To provide, prescribe and maintain various standards of studies and Education in the study of Commercial subjects and ascertain by means of examinations and / or otherwise the persons any Academic Diplomae, Degrees, titles and marks of honour, licence and certificates and also to confer any such Honoris Causa on such persons who may be considered fit for the distinction by reason of their learning, services, eminent position or otherwise.
- To associate Educationists, businessmen industrialists learned and influental men
..and various Governments and their Officers.
- To cooperative with the various Governments
.. in all maters of common interest and to raise the prestige, qualifications and remuneration of commercial men and to familaries general public with cultural and practical value of Commercial Training.
- To affiliate and assist Commercial Institutes, Colleges, and Schools
Affiliated to this University to get proper Recognition from any Central or Provincial Government, Local Authority and / or other Bodies.
- To establish contact with Commercial Institutions and encourage and foster friendly relations among such Institutions, Students and Employers and to promote unity and human relations among commercial men.
- To appoint or recommend, where necessary, a Representative or Representative of Commercial Education on behalf of Commercial University
Committees to be Appointed by the Working Syndicate
The Wkg. Syndicate may, under its purview, appoint
The Membership Committee
The Exemptions Committee
The Examinations Committee
The Colleges Control Committee
The Publications committee and such other Bodies or Committees or Boards as may, from time to time, be determined by the General Secretary.
Committee and Boards to be Appointed by the Academic Council :
The Academic Council may under its purview appoint;
The Syllabus Committee
The Board of Examiners
The Equivalence Committee
The Board of Paper Setters
And such other Bodies or Committee or Boards as may, from time to time be determined by the General Secretary.
Committee to be Appointed by the Finance Committee :
The Finance Committee under its purview may appoint the Accounts Committee and such other Bodies or Committees as may, from time to time be determined by the General Secretary.
Syndicate and General Secretary to Determine Appointments
In the event of the post of an Officer of the University being vacant, the officer next in heiarchy and / or authority shall assume the working of such officer as well till such time the vacancy is filled in by the respective authorities. The Board may, at any time, feel fit to appoint or to dismiss or to abrogate or to keep vacant any of the office or authorities of the University and the decision of the Board in this respect shall be final.
Commercial University Limited is a Private University founded by The All – India Commercial Association in 1940 at Lahore and is a university incorporated under a central act being central act I of 1956. It is not recognised by the U. G. C.. Its Certificates, Diploma and Degrees are not specifically recognised by the Central or any State Government. Recognition thereof is discretionary on the part of the persons concerned.
The CUL establishes and maintains high standards of education, training and examinations at all levels. This fact has earned for it a high reputation and public acceptability of its course, examinations and awards.
Many employer concerns, including private companies and MNC’s accept its awards for staff placements in their concerns. However, recognition thereof is entirely discretionary.